Re: [Amps] 87A vs. IC-PW1

To: "Dave Burr" <dtburr@speakeasy.net>, "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 87A vs. IC-PW1
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:33:01 -0500
> PW1 Advantages
>
> It has an antenna tuner (although what is the point of pumping a bunch of
> power into your crummy 4:1 VSWR system?)

So does the Alpha 87A when one considers that the Pi-L network essentially
performs a similar tuning function on the 3:1 VSWR circle in that the load Z
is matched reasonably well to the tube output Z.

I'm not sure of the replacement cost, nor the time involved with respect to
replacement of all the output transistors in the PW-1, but it's probably a
lot easier in terms of time and money to throw out a pair of 3CX800s than it
is for a similar transistor replacement -- especially on a contest weekend.

Paul, W9AC