[Amps] ALC

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] ALC
From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:07:36 -0800
There are many on this reflector who think ALC is a bad idea.  I was one of
them.

But, I have changed my mind.  ALC is a good idea, it is just carried out
poorly.  The problem with all of the ALC systems to date is that they reduce
power after the spike has occurred.  That is something like spanking the dog
and putting him back in the house after he has spread his joy to the
neighbor dog in heat.

But, ALC can work if it reduces the gain before it attains escape velocity.
That means it must decide to shut down while the voltage is building.  I am
not sure what that would take.  If the sampling could occur quick enough to
make a decision to shut down, based upon the rate of increase and before the
peaks were reached, that would be the simplest.

If that does not work, then artificial intelligence based upon your pulse
rate, knowing which contest is on, knowing how rare the dx is you are
calling, how much caffeine you have had recently and other such relevant
factors such as predicting how likely it is that you are shouting could used
be used in the speech processing.

In the other hand, keeping the gain down and watching the scope is sure
simple.

Colin  K7FM