[Amps] isolation xfmr TSPA

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] isolation xfmr TSPA
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:56:51 -0700
Reasonable price? 750 VA is not a small transformer, so expect to pay
more than scrap metal prices!

Allied Electronics has a toroidal transformer for 750 VA, 117 Pri/117
Sec (or 234 if series connected). Its made by Hammond, their p/n
182Q117, Allied # 836-0962, for $103. If you want a straight
isolation transformer, with electrostatic shield, hi pot tested from
pri/sec, then they have the 836-6340 for $143. Allied lists
Thordarson, Triad, Stancor, and others, and they are all in this
ballpark.
Mouser and Digikey also carry some of these same units.

Another transformer which is often available is the Signal brand,
they make some beautiful 1:1 transformers in 250, 500, 750 and 1 kVA
ratings. I prefer that one, have used them before.

You could check your local electrical supply for electricians, we
have about a dozen of them to choose from in Albuquerque. They may
have a control or machine tool transformer that will do it, but most
of them are 240/480 primary to 120 secondary, for operating controls
etc in a big machine off the primary circuit.

Most surplus dealers, like Murphys in LA, OEM Parts in Colorado
Springs, Surplus City in Albuquerque, and similar in the rest of the
county, have a stock of old Stancor beasts that will do this,
sometimes they have a linecord on them and a single outlet with a tap
switch on the back. Those can be had for probably half the above
cost. You have to know what you are looking for to get those, have a
catalog handy with old part numbers.