Re: [Amps] capacitor oils TSPA

To: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] capacitor oils TSPA
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:55:03 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

At 10:17 AM 2/28/2006, John T. M. Lyles wrote:
>Several of the HV capacitor manufacturers are using rape seed oil,
>also known as canola oil, in their designs. Its more enviro-friendly
>in manufacture compared to, say, GE Geconol, or Shell Diala. The
>flammability of the new oils are not so great, so thats a trade off
>they are making. Pyranol and the other PCB-based dielectric liquids
>were safer from the standpoint of fire hazard.

Some folks have mentioned using automatic transmission fluid with
good success. One cautionary note is that it contains
friction-increasing additives so is not recommended where a pump is
used. I have used a small amount to top off my honest-to-gosh
transformer oil dummy load with no problems, but I have not used a 100% mix.

73, Bill W6WRT