Re: [Amps] Panel lettering, scales, dials, etc

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Panel lettering, scales, dials, etc
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 19:09:25 -0500
I almost forgot this method. You can either lay out the face on paper on a
drafting table, or do the layout in CAD. Take it to your blueprint supply had
have them run it off on mylar. Mylar of course is a clear or frosted plastic
sheet. To protect the lettering though, the printed side goes towards the amps
faceplate. To do this, all the print has to be a mirror image or backwards.
That way when the film is turned around backwards, the text is readable. It's
easier to do this on a drawing board for me using lettering templates and
writing backwards. The problem with CAD, unless you have a backward font, is
you would have to do each of the alphabet by hand, or create a backwards font.
To get out of this, you could print as normal, and put another piece of clear
plastic over the mylar so the lettering couldn't be rubbed off. The easiest
though is to have a blackline or color copy ran off and laminate it like I
mentioned earler. You can still use the rub-on labels if drafting it
  by hand and before you laminate it. Using a good blueprint supply, they can
make you any size print you want up to an E size. They have color printers now
that can handle an E size sheet with ease and produce photographic quality
prints. I use TurboCad for my CAD program, and they used to have a free 2D copy
available at their website.

Best,

Will