[Amps] 813 Anomilies

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 813 Anomilies
From: "AA6DX - Mark" <aa6dx@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 16:43:23 -0800
Yo .. Well.. the first amp I built .. 813s, a pair .... down and dirty
grounded grid ... I used a #2 pencil for the core for the filament choke ..
worky worky!  Also, put enough meters (military surplus, those daze!) on it
the locals called it my 16ØM amp... although it would not tune the "Top
Band" .. HI HI ..
BTW .. that amp, coupled to a Halliscratchers HT-37 phasing SSB rig with the
mike gain cranked,  garnered me a nice pink slip from the Franklin Candy
Company whilst working split on 4ØM SSB  ---1965 ---HOW LOW CAN YOU GO?
(them daze, 72ØØ --- but... that darn splatter!)  -- Have had about 4 of
them thar critters along the way, and not a bad way to go, `til this day!
73 . .  . Mark, AA6DX
>There is a custom you should know about with 813 amps, though.  They should
>look utilitarian, be large, use surplus meters, use a BC-375 bandswitch and
>be painted a proper boat anchor color.  Rack mounting is good.  Casters are
>good.  Large round Westinghouse meters are preferred.  And, no leds - you
>need incandescent lamps, preferably with the large round jewels.

Sounds like the PERFECT amp!

John K5MO