Re: [Amps] Alpha 78 voltage sag

To: Martin Sole <msole@loxinfo.co.th>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 78 voltage sag
From: KD7QAE <KD7QAE@ARRL.NET>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 14:56:02 +0000
Martin,

If the XFMR is designed for 60Hz only, you will hae excessive core
losses and high primary current as the core is being driven too close to
saturation on each cycle.  The primary current will manifest itself in
both heating and voltage drop.  The core losses will cause core
heating.  All in all a bad setup.  If this is the case, you will have to
lower the primary voltage to 5/6 of a 60Hz standard value and run on the
matching tap the primary has (208, 230, 240) or you could buy a 50Hz
rated transformer.

Tomm