Re: [Amps] simple balun (101) questions

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] simple balun (101) questions
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 11:36:32 -0500
Dan,

It could be your not using enough core area if it's running hot, etc. The XL
for most I would think should around 200 ohms. Calculate that from the
inductance of the winding. You are correct though on the math that the turns
ratio is 1.41 to match 50 to 25 ohms. However, I've read some on this in some
PDF publications on the net about transmission line transformers and seen that
that's not quite the case sometimes. The best thing to do is do a google search
for Transmission Line Transformers and look for all the PDF files that show up.
Most discuss this very thing. There's also a book out named that too and is
about making these very transformers. One last thing, look at using a yellow or
white core as really red isn't rated for the full band of 2-30 MHz if I recall.
Some manufactures dont have white, a few do. I cant remember the details
without looking on each.

Best,

Will