Re: [Amps] HB Amps

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HB Amps
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 14:31:53 -0500
 CURRENT GLASS TUBE MANUFACTURERS
 (not counting exotic devices, such as
 photomultipliers and microwave devices)
 by Eric Barbour--October 1997
 --------------------------------------

CHINA:

Shuguang Electrical Factory No. 1, Shuguang: State-owned until recently.
Shuguang makes most of the popular audio and guitar types, which
are frequently rebranded by importers. Large guitar-amp manufacturers,
such as Mesa-Boogie and Fender, are the world's largest consumers
of audio tubes today, and they get most of their tubes from Shuguang.
PM Components, a British firm, has "Golden Dragon" types made by
Shuguang, which are then marketed by firms such as Whirlwind and
Tubes By Design.

Types in production:
6L6GC, EL34 (3 types), 6550, KT88 (2 types), 300B (4 types),
KT100, 5AR4, 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, 2A3, 211, 845, KT66,
EL84, 807, 6GH8, 6AN8, occasional runs of 6AU6 and EF86.

There are many other tube factories in China. Most keep a very
low profile. CEIEC-Hunan claims to make many types, including
an EL156. Some of these factories specialize in transmitting
tubes such as the 811A, 812A, 813, 3-500Z, 4-400, 100TH, 833
and others.

RUSSIA:

Reflector Corp, Saratov:
Makes most of the tubes marketed by New Sensor Co. of New York
under the "Sovtek" brand name. Some of these are old Russian
types, others are made especially for export.

Types in production:
12AX7 (3 variations known), EL34 (3 versions), 6CA7 fat, 5AR4,
5881, 6922, 6EU7, 6L6GB, 6V6GT, 7199, EL84 (2 versions), 6P15P.
Sovtek also markets 5U4G, 5Y3GT, 6SN7, 6SL7, two 12AX7s and
a few other types made at other factories.

Ryazan Plant of Electronics, Ryazan:
Makes power triodes for RF and audio applications. Some are
sold outside Russia by Svetlana Electron Devices. Ryazan
has also made large thyratrons and pulse tubes.

Types in production:
811A (popular and sold all over the world), 812A, SV811-3,
SV811-10, SV572-3, SV572-10, SV572-30, SV572-160, GM-100,
others. SV types and 812A are made especially for Svetlana
Electron Devices.

Svetlana Electron Devices, St. Petersburg:
The major Russian power-tube manufacturer. Formerly a
part of the huge Svetlana collective factory, now
independent. A joint-stock agreement with
Svetlana Electron Devices USA has been set up.

Types in production:
EL34, SV6L6GC, SV6550C, 300B, EL509, EF86, 6BM8, 6AS7,
3CX300A1, 6D22S, GP-5, and a long list of large power
types for amateur radio, broadcast and industrial uses.

Ulyanov, Ulyanovsk:
Large state-owned factory specializes in military equipment.
Also makes tubes for use in military aircraft electronics.

Types in production:
GU-50, GU-13/813, 6S33S-V, 6S19P, 6S41P, others. 6S33 is
becoming popular in high-end amplifiers in America and Japan.

Voskhod, Kaluga:
Large collective factory, makes many ICs and other semiconductors
as well as receiving tubes.

Types in production:
Makes 6N1P-EV, 6AX7, 7025 (2 types), 6SN7, 6SL7 and a few other
types sold by various firms outside Russia.

SLOVAKIA, CZECH REPUBLICS:

Teslovak, Cadca:
Spinoff from now-defunct state factory Tesla. Currently
the major source for Groove Tubes. Teslovak tubes are
often sold under the Tesla brandname.

Types in production:
KT88S, EL34, E34L, ECC83/12AX7, EL84, 6L6GC. Some of
the power types are available in red or blue glass.

JJ Electronic, Prague:
Another alleged spinoff of Tesla. Products such as a
6L6GC and 7027 have been announced. Whether they actually
manufacture tubes is unknown.

AVVT, Prague:
Run by former Vaic Valve Co. founder Alesa Vaic.
Makes power triodes for high-end audio amplifiers,
marketed by Audio Note UK. Production source unknown.

Types in production:
AV300B SL, AV32B SL, AV62B SL, possibly others.

KR Enterprise, Prague:
Formerly Vaic Valve Co, now operated by Riccardo and
Eunice Kron. Makes power triodes for high-end audio
amplifiers. Production source unknown.

Types in production:
VV30B, VV300B, VV52B, KR1, others.

YUGOSLAVIA:

EI Electronic Industries, Nis, Serbia:
Former state-owned factory, makes all types of electrical
products, still making tubes using old Philips production
tooling and equipment.

Types in production:
6CA7, 6CG7, 12AT7, 12AX7, 12BH7, 12DW7, EL34, EL519, PL519,
KT90, KT99, EL84, possibly others.

UKRAINE:

Poljaron, Lvov:
Makes 833A and some Russian power types, plus related
products such as vacuum capacitors.

USA:

Richardson Electronics, LaFox, IL:
Makes large power tubes and specialized types. Also makes
a 300B, 845 and 50 sold under the Cetron brand, as well as a
KT88 sold under the National brand. Richardson
has large quantities of tooling obtained from old American
tube factories when they shut down. Also makes some larger
transmitting and HV types.

Westrex Corporation, Kansas City, MO (alleged):
Makes the reissued Western Electric 300B. Claims to be
developing a KT88, 212E, 274A and other old WE types
for future manufacture. High-price tubes for audiophile
amplifiers.
Company office is in Atlanta, GA. This firm is independent
of AT&T Corporation and has licensed the brandnames from
AT&T.

MU, Oceanside, CA:
Small contract factory, makes occasional runs of unusual
glass and metal-ceramic tubes for military use. Still makes
some of the old "Bendix Red Bank" tubes, such as the 6094 and
6384, in occasional lots.

Fritztronics, Randolph MA:
Rebuilds klystrons and other large power tubes. Claimed to
be in a cooperative agreement with Groove Tubes to manufacture
an exact copy of the original RCA "black plate" 6L6GC for guitar
amps.

Triton Services ETD, Gaithersburg MD:
Makes some Eimac and Litton glass power types, using equipment
from the original manufacturers.