Re: [Amps] Boat-Anchor Cleanliness

To: sb200@optonline.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Boat-Anchor Cleanliness
From: HAROLD B MANDEL <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:41:32 -0500
Dear Chris,

Actually, I have washed dusty, cruddy circuit boards
in the sink many times. I always finish with an isopropanol
scrub and a hot blow-dry. The alcohol mixes with the water
and evaporates without residue.

Hotel room bathrooms and kitchenettes are best for this
type of renovation. It avoids the inevitable discussion
and punishment when She Who Must Be Obeyed finds
a single speck of PCBd. splatter on a mirror or left
on the porcelain. Further, the hair dryer in electronics
assembly service is best done when alone and undisturbed.

In 37 years of traveling for business the development of
ham radio projects has found a time and place without
the acrimony and subsequent prostrations and begging
for forgiveness when things like hot blobs of solder happen to
land on a carpet.

(One would think that such lofty pursuits of knowledge
would gain acceptance, but no.) A good friend of mine
was contemplating getting back on HF when SWMBO
discovered him in the yard with a coil of wire, looking for
a tie-point. His e-mail to me, complete with the ensuing
scenario, told of his need to travel for business.

I told him that for most of us, we need to establish a
secret room in the cellar that only the pooch and we
know about, and to wear headphones because the female ear is
resonant to heterodynes on 40 meters (Why do you think they
named them HETEROdynes? - Duh!) One trace of a whistle
and they're on the warpath, because we're not doing what's
on the Current List.

So again, travel has its ups and downs. Ham Radio is mostly
tinkering and reading at this stage, so getting all this out of the
way now smooths the relationship as it's out of my blood
and I am properly comported for Domestic Responsibilities
and Assignments Subject to Acceptance.

Hal
W4HBM
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:22:42 -0500 sb200 <sb200@optonline.net> writes:
> You should have told him to use his 4000 psi power washer.
> Dishwasher.  Man
> O man
>
> Chris

Harold Mandel