[Amps] Washing equipment

To: amps@contesting.com (Amps)
Subject: [Amps] Washing equipment
From: N7KA@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 01:32:51 +0000
The following is experience, NOT A RECCOMENDATION.  I AM NOT LIABLE FOR ANYONES
PROBLEMS.

Years ago, the 1960s. I washed MANY Tektronix scopes as a normal routine for a
complete service, both at the factory in Beaverton, OR and in a mobile lab
(Mobilescope in S. Calif).  I do not remember losing a scope to water or
moisture in that time.

I do not remember the chemical solution that was used or the concentration.  I
do know that I did not do an immersion, instead used water under pressure ala
the car wash.

The scope were blown dry with air as much as possible and placed in an oven to
dry for about 24 hours.  AND YES, I GOT QUITE WET AT TIMES.

During the wash process CARE was taken to NOT direct water at the bottom of the
power transformer (it had holes not always filled with terminals).  Tubes were
removed prior to the wash as well including the CRT.

There are several ham friends of mine who can atest to this method of cleaning
(W7NI, W7SAO, K6XT, AI7B, I worked with all except K6XT) at the factory or in
field service.

Todays equipment I am not sure I would do the same.  The transformer and meters
I would definitely remove if I chose to wash anything.

BTW, I lubed switch detents (remember lubriplate?) and used contact cleaner as
well in the process.   You should have seen the the transformation from a dirty
scope to a like new appearnace.  All this was done prior to any other service
work being performed except for a quick power up to determine quote for work to
be performed.

Today, wash away AT YOUR OWN RISK, DO NOT IMMERSE, and hope it works for you.
De-ionized water would be a benefit if available.

73 de Arne N7KA