Re: [Amps] increasing rf gain in driver stages ?

To: Dan Sawyer <dansawyer@earthlink.net>, amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] increasing rf gain in driver stages ?
From: jkearman@att.net (Jim Kearman)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 06:11:44 +0000
From: Dan Sawyer <dansawyer@earthlink.net>

> If this question is too general - where is a good source for reading
> about stage gain variables?

The best way to learn about amps is to build a few. Two books I found useful as
a non-engineer were Demaw and Hayward's Solid State Design for the Radio
Amateur, and John Lenk's Handbook of Simplified Solid-State Design. Both date
from the 1970s. I'm sure others will suggest more-recent amateur-oriented
handbooks, such as the current "Experimental" book sold by ARRL, but these two
are still valuable, and inexpensive.

Buy some cheap transistors like 2N2222As and 2N3725s (cheap on eBay) and go
through the books. Design some stages with calculated gain and then measure
your results. Try changing the resistors, supply voltage, load, etc., and keep
notes. Once you've done a few you'll have a clear idea of what to do to your
transceiver.

73,

Jim, KR1S
http://kr1s.kearman.com/