Re: [Amps] series-connecting a split-stator variable cap

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] series-connecting a split-stator variable cap
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 22:44:10 -0500
Scott,

The capacitors rotor has to go to ground, and the stator to the tank coil to
work. Generally, the rotor is connected through frame ground via a wiper. The
stator is insulated. There's no way of increasing the voltage unless the plates
are spaced further apart. If you series the sections by using a jumper across
the screws, you increase the capacitance, not cut it in half. You have to
paralell them to do that and there's no way to do it. To get less capacitance,
or cut it in half plus raise the voltage, remove half the plates at every other
plate. That will increase the air gap and the voltage rating, plus cut the
capacitance of the section in half. Those plates will come off as they're just
pressed on.

Best,

Will