Re: [Amps]SS vs. Tubes (was  "I gotta tell this")

To: Gary Smith <wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net>,Theo Bellamy <theo.bellamy@spirittelecom.com>,Ampscontestingcom <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps]SS vs. Tubes (was  "I gotta tell this")
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 09:39:14 +0200 (CEST)
The mechanics of the cooling of the SS amp, plus the low voltage, high current
wiring and PSU, make the kW SS amp a bit more complicated than the tube amp, at
least to my mind. The overall efficiency is no better, the flexibility to
handle high (up to 3:1) SWR requires a built in tuner, which at low impedance
can lead to awkwardly higher capacitances on variables unless the impedance is
stepped up, all suggest that for home brewing, tubes are easier. Forgetting,
for the moment, costs, of course.......
And we don't frequency hop that fast - not even in the SS contests!
73
Peter G3RZP