Re: [Amps] tubes

To: Colin Lamb <k7fm@teleport.com>,"carl s." <carlseye@tampabay.rr.com>, Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] tubes
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 09:56:26 -0400
If you have a lot of drive you can connect the control grid to the cathode,
ground the screen grid and run grounded grid. The linearity will put high
mu triodes to shame since there will be very little gird current. The power
gain will only be about 5.  For 500 watts output you will need to run two
tubes in parallel with about 100 watts drive. For more gain in cathode
driven mode you can apply the same grid biases as you would in grid driven
operation and RF ground the grids.  This will produce less IMD  than a pair
of grid driven tubes due to the inherent negative feedback in the cathode
driven amplifier.

73
Bill wa4lav