Re: [Amps] sealed air cooled dummy load in oil??

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] sealed air cooled dummy load in oil??
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 07:53:35 +0100

Jim Nowotarski wrote:
>>Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 12:21:52 -0400
>>From: "Gary Patterson" <gpatterson53@hotmail.com>
>>Subject: [Amps] sealed air cooled dummy load in oil??
>>To: amps@contesting.com
>>
>>Can one of those "finned", air cooled, sealed dummy loads be dumped
>
> into a
>
>>can of transformer oil (cantenna-like) and significantly increase
>
> its power
>
>>dissapation??
>>

> Generally yes, depending of course on your definition of
> "significant."
> I would suggest monitoring the temperature of the load. The oil will
> help transfer the
> heat from the load, but of course it won't increase the max
> temperature that the load can take.
I was going to suggest blowing air rather than dunking it in oil - but
to know if either is worthwhile you need to look at the thermal
resistances from the resistor part to ambient. I don't know the
construction of these use but if most of the temperature difference is
between the resistor and the finned case, then cooling the case doesn't
do much for you. If the converse is true, it could do a lot.

Steve