Re: [Amps] Rivet nuts

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Rivet nuts
From: Paul Whatton <paul@g4dcv.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 10:05:19 +0100
Hi Will

There is an animation here of a rivet nut being pulled up by a thread
just as you describe:
http://www.zygology.com/products/tier2.asp?category=threaded%20inserts

I also saw a product mentioned on the internet that adapts a reversible
electric drill to do this in the way you describe.
http://www.engineeringtalk.com/news/nhe/nhe124.html

Being cheap I tried to pull up my aluminium M4 rivet nuts with a thread
in the chuck of my drill and a washer between the tips of the chuck and
the rivet nut. It didn't work because the rivetnut spun in the hole. It
seems that as well as the screw you will need a fixed grip that
surrounds it to stop the rivet nut turning.

I'm sure with a little ingenuity it would be possible to make a tool
that works but In the end I gave up and started squashing them in the vice!

73 Paul G4DCV