Re: [Amps] Daiwa meters

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Daiwa meters
From: Tony King - W4ZT <amps080605@w4zt.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 03:41:31 -0400
Will and all,

I love the cross needle Daiwa meters, especially the older ones in metal
boxes (make sure the meter isn't physically cracked). I have found their
accuracy adequate for daily use and much easier to read and interpret
than the single needle meters. I still use the Bird for measurement, but
it doesn't live in line. I use the Daiwa meters at home and mobile.

As for peak reading, I highly recommend the PEP Adapter board built and
sold by my friend, Phil Chambley, K4DPK, at <http://k4dpk.com>.  His PEP
board can be added to any wattmeter. Not only do you get fast and
effective PEP readings, you can also calibrate it to do scale doubling
to increase the range of your wattmeter (within the power limits of the
internal components of course). This enables you to use your 1000 Watt
Bird slug to 2000 Watts or your 2500 Watt slug to 5000 Watts or
recalibrate your 3KW Daiwa meter for 6KW.  His PEP board has adjustment
for hang time also which gives a much better peak hold reading than just
about anything I've seen.  It is a FAR SUPERIOR PEP Adapter to the one
that Bird supplies on their factory peak reading wattmeters. At $30,
it's a deal. Use one of these to update and add value to any of the old
meters you may already own and make one that you can pick up cheap more
desirable.

Hope this helps you make your wattmeter decision.

73, Tony W4ZT