Re: [Amps] Plate Impedance, ARRL

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate Impedance, ARRL
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:51:46 -0400
Jim,

You said it right about the publishing arm being a profit center there. Here's
what I've always thought. They try to not re-write the handbook at all if they
can keep from it. The reason is, that the time it takes to edit costs money. If
you can sell the same book year after year while just changing the cover, your
making way more money than editing it and showing new stuff. Oh, they add new
stuff, but it's a small amount, or just enough to make another edition. That's
like software. You write it once, and sell it there on out as straight profit.
Some touts upgrades when basically it just bells and whistles to make folks
think they're getting something better for their money, and a reason to keep
buying. I've opened up too many handbooks, and seen that year after year they
publish the same articles, especially on amps. Maybe every three years you'll
see a new one pop up published. Luckily, I have an electronics supply here that
stocks them so I get to look at what's inside be
 fore I buy. Others don't have this luxury, and are disappointed when they open
their new handbook and see it's the same warmed over stuff from the year
before. The handbook needs to be gone over from front to back I think, but I
highly doubt I'll ever see it.

That's like the new amp book they published. It's just republished material
from the handbook I've heard from several hams, and not nowhere worth the price
they ask for it. I'm waiting on a copy to come up on ebay for say $5 to buy it.
If I remember, they didn't have much on tube amps for 80-10 meters at all. Some
on here reviewed it, but can't remember who.

Best,

Will