Re: [Amps] Amp Faceplates

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amp Faceplates
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:16:09 -0400
Jim,

The high-res screen will work with the inks they have, but those are hard to
use. They said they were hard to develop where the plastic wanted to stick to
the tighter mesh. The other thing is they require more pressure on the squeegee
(which I misspelled a while ago). I doubt a spray type paint would go through
that at all like a stencil where it 200 thread count. I would question it going
through the low-res stuff at 110 thread count. They recommend to use high-res
on hard surfaces like we would use. Then I noted they said it may not be any
good for PC boards, but I think that had to do with double side registration.
They also show a fixer under the inks, but never tell where it's used. Is it to
fix the screen after it's developed, or fix the ink after a print? It may be a
good idea to try the low-res kit they have but it's around $35 if I remember.
They suggest using a lamp they sell for developing, and I suggest this too as
daylight sun conditions vary way too much. How ma
 ny truely sunny days do we get? The lamp though is about $65. This reminds me
of the same process used in developing PC boards in a way using the lamp for
its UV rays. I have tried the positive acting board system and like it, and
this is a similar thing the way it acts. The plastic is on the screen here
where it's on the PC board the other way. Really, I think you could use the
low-res screen on hard materials by using a soft touch on the squeegee. It may
bleed a little but that might be worth the aggravation of the high-res all
together. Then again, the low-res may work ok if the ink is thick enough. They
call it paint in places but I've always heard it called ink in the screen
printing business. One last thing, the metallic inks wont go through the
high-res screen. I may try this myself down the road. If any here do, please
post it so we know if it's any good.

Best,

Will