[Amps] Old amps are fun! (SB-221 smoke)

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Old amps are fun! (SB-221 smoke)
From: Dino Darling <dino@k6rix.com>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 13:52:23 -0700
After cleaning the dust out of an old SB-221, I pulled out the trusty
POWERSTAT to slowly bring up the amp.

I checked the POWERSTAT with the VOM so I knew where 55 volts were
and especially where 110 volts was.  (Amp was received wired for
120V.  I have not done anything to the amp other than to dust it
out.  It has been sitting for probably 20 years.)

I'm not saying I did this right, but I started at ZERO, turned on the
amp, and slowly brought up the POWERSTAT until the light came on, the
tubes began to glow, and the fan was spinning.  I let it sit there
for a couple of minutes and brought it up a little further.  The
lights got brighter, the fan spun faster and the tubes glowed nicely.

At about 75%, I got smoke!  A whole lot of smoke!  POWERSTAT to zero
and I flipped the switch off!

After removing the outer cover, I see where the 1mH choke on pin 4 of
the inside tube (socket N) smoked.

#1  Where can I get a replacement?
#2  What caused the failure (or where do I start looking)?

Dino - K6RIX
dino@k6rix.com