Re: [Amps] transformer from dielectric heater tspa

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] transformer from dielectric heater tspa
From: "Larry Carman" <lncarman@swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 19:31:47 -0500
Thanks for the info, John.
450 mA of plate current sounds right for the 5868.
When I connect the primary of the transformer to 230 VAC I'm getting about
4700 volts AC from ct to outer leg of the secondary which seems a bit too
much for the 5868. The unloaded primary draw is .45 amps which seems quite
high. For all I know, this may be normal for these types of transformers.
I'm afraid that part of the primary winding may be shorted together. LaRose
could have added very little filtering which would cause a huge voltage drop
when powered up therefore justifying the seemingly high secondary AC
voltage.
The unit used a tube rectifier. Gotta be pretty old stuff.
Many thanks,
Larry N5BIP