Re: [Amps] 3-1000Z - Filament Voltage

To: w6ah@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-1000Z - Filament Voltage
From: Rob & Terri Sherwood <rob@sherweng.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 13:18:08 -0600
In the broadcast industry, where I worked for 25 years as a transmitter
tech besides studio jobs, the transmitters usually had a pot or variac
to adjust the filament voltage.  My normal procedure was to set it at
the nominal voltage for 200 hours after installing a new tube.  Then the
voltage would be backed off, while observing power output and
distortion.  At the point the output or the distortion started to
degrade, the voltage was bumped up slightly, say 0.1 volts.   I have
never heard of a case where running filaments low caused decreased tube
life.  Of course I never tried to do something dumb like running a 5.0
volt tube on 4 volts.  After the initial burn-in, I would expect one
could start by reducing the voltage 5%.

Is it possible on the Harris the 7.8 volts was read before the drop in a
filament choke, assuming a grounded grid configuration?  You would think
that a measurement point, if provided by the manufacturer, would be
right at the filament, but who knows.  In the case of GG operation,
maybe an OEM would not want to hang a bunch of chokes off the filament
that was getting the RF drive, and decided to measure it before the choke.

73, Rob, NC0B