Re: [Amps] One GS-35B or two?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] One GS-35B or two?
From: Tony King - W4ZT <amps080605@w4zt.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 23:26:26 -0400
Pat,

A single GS-35B will comfortably do 1500 Watts output, with headroom.
There is no use wasting another tube and increasing the demand for
filament current, plate current AND lowering your plate load impedance
by using two tubes. A 100 Watt driver will be very comfortable with one
tube without causing any damage to it. Just be careful to keep the plate
voltage below 4KV and preferably no more than about 3600 Volts.

My favorite saying is this:
Tubes are like women...
If you feel that you must have two, keep them in separate houses,  and
don't let them know about each other. If one isn't good enough for you,
get a better one.

In other words, if one tube isn't enough for you, don't run two, get a
bigger tube!

The next logical step above a single GS-35B isn't two of them... it is a
single YC-156 ;)

73, Tony W4ZT