[Amps] Amps and ROHS

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Amps and ROHS
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 07:46:13 +0100

Will Matney wrote:
> Has anyone tried the new Challenger amps from the UK?
I've not tried the current designs, but I have used and fixed older
models. I came across several with fried mains transformers, and I
thought the shielding/screening was poor on vhf models.

Changing the subject, I wonder what happens with these after July. In
the EU it becomes illegal to sell almost all new electronic equipment if
any part of any component contains more than 0.1% lead (or various other
substances, but lead is the biggest deal here). There are exceptions,
such as HMP solder, but (for example) a single component with tin/lead
plating on its leads renders the whole equipment non-compliant. GS31/35
has what looks like a solder joint on the heater connection cap,
similarly, glass tubes have soldered pins - if it's not HMP or lead free
solder, the equipment is illegal.

I've used the term 'new' equipment -  the wording is all about things
(individual items, not product lines) offered for sale for the first
time, and applies equally to used and vintage equipment. Personal
sales/purchases will be ignored, at least for the time being, but it
will be illegal for my business to import a piece of second hand gear
from outside the EU if it uses standard solder in the construction.

As I understand it, companies exporting non-compliant equipment to
individuals in the EU are unlikely to be chased, but their officers
could be liable to legal action if they visit the EU. I asked the main
amplifier manufacturers whether their equipment was compliant, and their
policy on supply. Only Alpha answered - their pcb assemblies are/will be
compliant, but they had not finished assessing the situation regarding
the tank circuits and tubes. If their equipment is not compliant, they
can't sell through distributors, and they might decide not to supply
directly. Anyone in the EU thinking of importing an amplifier might want
to talk to the supplier and place their order pronto!

Steve