Re: [Amps] WLW 500 kW transmitter

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] WLW 500 kW transmitter
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 15:21:49 -0700
On Tue, 16 May 2006 21:30:22 -0400, Will Matney wrote:

>I see he has another page about the VOA Bethany site.

Our EE class (from the University of Cincinnati) was lucky enough
to tour the site during our senior year (the winter of '63-'64).
We had just finished our course in Transmission Lines a few months
earlier, and the tour provided a most spectacular view of how they
could be used. As a ham, I was already turned on to antennas and
transmission lines, and this station blew me away.

One innovation that the Crosley VOA engineers contributed was to
replace the termination resistance for their rhombics with a TL
back to the feedpoint, where what would have been lost power was
added back in phase!  They claimed an additional 2 dB of gain as a
result (as compared to the resistor).

Those two Sterba curtains, suspended between the three large
towers, were a magnificent sight from I-75, a few miles to the
west.

When we toured WLW then, they put the 500 kW rig into a dummy load
for us. It had not been on the air for since the 40's.

Jim Brown  K9YC