Re: [Amps] Historical question-probably OT

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Historical question-probably OT
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 22:23:13 +0200 (CEST)
This ARRL Handbook is in pretty good shape - the cover is a bluey green. But it
does go back to the days when a certain degree of technical knowledge was
required, and the '20 year appliance operator' was somewhat less common -  and
no 'SOB' - Shack On Belt -  types were around.
That amp seems to me to be somewhat ' voice - SSB - ICAS' rated, as was fairly
popular in the early days of SSB. I doubt it would stand up to prolonged 2 tone
testing.
Of course, an AB2 amp isn't in AB2 all the time when driven with SSB voice -
only when it hits the grid current point. But without a low impedance bias
supply, I suspect the splatter was pretty poor.

73
Peter G3RZP/W6