Re: [Amps] Series PC Power Supplies

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Series PC Power Supplies
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 17:39:19 -0400
Jim,

By balancing, I don't mean balancing the current or voltage, but balancing the
system so that it does not fail catastrophically because of the failure of one
supply.

"It's preferable to use identical power supplies but is not a requisite in a
series cascade supply. If dissimilar power supplies are connected in series,
the maximum available current will be that of the supply with the lowest
current rating. The supply with the lowest isolation voltage should be placed
closest to ground. The diodes conduct the reverse current that could result if
that particular power supply was not turned on with the other supplies in the
cascade. The diodes protect the filter capacitors and the series pass
transistors. The AC line power should be applied to each simultaneously". These
quoted sentances can be found in the book "Regulated Power Supplies" by Irving
Gottlieb.

However, in series connected supplies, connecting different regulator circuits
in series can still vary by what would seem a small amount from one another.
Each regulator set in each supply can lead or lag the others when they respond
to the same current change in time. This is because they are each individually
controlled by their own regulator circuits. This lead and lag in responce times
can cause current spikes in the individual supplies. They do make some supplies
which their regulation circuits can be tied together to try and keep the
responce times the same, but still it does not work as good as it should. In
paralelled supplies, this can be worse to where one supply could be carrying a
good bit of the load out of the set. The same diode arrangement can be used
here, but balancing resistors can be used with them. Most supplies with
multiple pass transistors have individual balancing resistors around 0.1 to 0.5
ohms each so one transistor will not be drawing more curren
 t than the rest, or not be as dramatic. However, when paralelling supplies
this way, dont count on having any close regulation.

Best,

Will