Re: [Amps] R. MEASURES PRAYERS ANSWERED

To: R L Measures <r@somis.org>, g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk
Subject: Re: [Amps] R. MEASURES PRAYERS ANSWERED
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 19:47:53 +0200 (CEST)
Resonance is best defined as the voltage and current applied to the circuit are
in phase: thus what happens in any branch is immaterial. Using that definiton,
you have a definition that applies to both series and parallel circuits,
regardless of Q.

>My dummy load is non-resonant, so that's a problem?<

As long as V and I are in phase it looks resistive, whetehr it's a tuned
circuit or a resistor. Looked at as a single port network at one frequency, you
couldn't tell if it was a resistor or some sort of tuned network.
And I saw a recent equipment standard where a 'artificial antenna' was (badly,
in this case)  defined as a 'substantially non radiating tuned load'

The 'XL = XC' definition is not a good one: it's either been adopted in the
Extra exam because those producing the questions don't appreciate the problems
when Q is low (or don't understand AC theory), or alternatively, they feel that
the oversimplification is a good thing. But it does break the usual rules for
producing multiple choice  (otherwise known as 'vote for Joe') exams.
73
Peter G3RZP