Re: [Amps] Direct-grounding SB-220 grids

To: Amps reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Direct-grounding SB-220 grids
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 13:07:16 -0700
Pete Smith wrote:
> I'm thinking about following several people's advice and
> direct-grounding the grids on my SB-220.  I'm told that this can
> result in a bit more gain and enhanced stability.  Merits of the
> procedure aside, if I do so, should I use copper strap of some sort,
> or will large diameter copper wire be sufficient?  Should I ground
> each grid pin directly to the adjacent chassis ground lug, or somehow
> connect them to each other?  It appears that each ground connection
> will only be about an inch long.

Copper strap would have lower inductance and is what I've used in my
homebrew amplifiers.  If you're going to bother changing it, might as
well do it the best possible way.  I don't see what the benefit would be
from connecting them together; I'd just connect each pin to the chassis
with the shortest possible strap.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco