Re: [Amps] SB-220 Plate Tuning Capacitor

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 Plate Tuning Capacitor
From: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 08:51:13 -0700
On Jun 7, 2006, at 1:22 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> What do you base the 390 V and 2600 V peak?

Measurements with an oscilloscope and a 49.9-ohm termination, sending
50wpm dits on the SSB tap.

> 1500 W peak is 274 volts peak SQRT(1500*50).

Hams and the FCC - do not measure peak W, they measure PEP, which is
an RMS measurement.  For example, 400v-pk into 50-ohms = (0.707 x 400)
^2 / 50-ohms = 1600w PEP.

> If you
> want to allow for SWR, 2:1 VSWR represents 548 volts.
> The voltage across the open tap of the band switch will
> depend on circuit Q, number of shorted turns as well as
> the mutual coupling between those turns and the rest of
> the coil ... and don't forget any mistuning.  If the
> antenna relay is dirty, doesn't make good contact, or
> is mistimed the voltage across the band switch can reach
> as much as 5 KV even without any VHF parasite.

How did you measure the 5kV?  The original Tune-C in a SB-220 has a
measured BD-V of c. 3600vdc at sea level.  How could "as much as 5kV"
get past the Tune cap, Joe?  A famous amplifier expert claimed that
10kV could appear across the bandswitch if a 220 is overdriven.  Do
you believe that?

> 4900 volt DC breakdown simply doesn't cover it at 15
> or 20 meters.

It's true that BD-V decreases as f increases, but the question is how
much.