Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 42, Issue 67

To: <edk0kl@centurytel.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 42, Issue 67
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 05:52:42 -0400
> It occurs to me Ameritron may be trying to compensate for
> operators who
> do not 'scope their station. With an oscilloscope you can
> see how
> undercoupling
> the output causes the tube to flat top. That creates
> distortion, both IM and
> harmonic. It seems to me that Ameritron, with their
> suggested tuning method
> insures the tubes are overcoupled and then underdriven.

....and worse yet for the manufacturer, under coupling
results in high voltages in the tank circuit. Besides all
that splatter, it decreases reliability of the amp and the
life of expensive tank components.

The number one cause of operator related field failures is
underloading the amplifier.

73 Tom