Re: [Amps] Safety grounding - was Mains Isolation Transformer

To: Gudguyham@aol.com, r@somis.org
Subject: Re: [Amps] Safety grounding - was Mains Isolation Transformer
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 13:44:11 +0200 (CEST)
Lou said:
> 3 insulated wires would be #6 and the bare bond wire would be #`10.<
This is an interesting one. Is it assumed that you can't get a fault such that
the full fault current flows down the ground (i.e. the protection) wire? Such
fault current being greater than the normal load current? Intuitively, I'd sort
of expect the protective ground conductor to be of at least the same gauge, if
not bigger, than the  current carrying conductors.
Also, do we assume that in the case of two lots of 110 volt appliances, the
currents will be approximately in anti phase, and so cancel  in the neutral?
This would fall down with bad power factors of opposite sign. (OK - opposite
sine or rather, cosine, if you want a bad pun)
73
Peter G3RZP