Re: [Amps] Hi-Pot Tester for sale

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Hi-Pot Tester for sale
From: ToddRoberts2001@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 09:40:57 EDT
device is very limited in its current ability.
Thanks for info.
Gene KB0GU Bigham

It doesn't look like there is enough info in the listing to tell if the
hi-pot tester would be suitable for checking items an amplifier builder would
be
interested in like vacuum variables, vacuum relays, or vacuum tubes. For
checking those items for high-voltage leakage you need a hi-pot tester with a
microammeter range capable of reading only a few microamps and a voltage range
of
probably at least 0-10KV. The item listed has what looks like a meter range
that
reads in milliamps - this would be way too high a range. We would need
something with a scale of perhaps 0-10 or 0-20 microamps. Also the item listed
does
not say how many KV it will adjust to. Many vacuum variables have operating
voltages of 10KV or more so you want a hi-pot tester that will go to at least
10KV or more. Any object reading more than 5-10 microamps of leakage at its
normal operating voltage would be suspect. 73 Todd WD4NGG