Re: [Amps] salvaging shorted tubes

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] salvaging shorted tubes
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:04:19 -0400
>         I would like to see a thread start on trying to salvage shorted
>tubes.  My success ratio over the years has been about 1 in five.  Richard
>has mentioned a technique of spinning the shorted tube at a high speed in
>some sort of a centrifuge.  I have heard other techniques such as
>applying
>voltage (both AC and DC) across the short.  Some have suggested
>discharging
>large capacitors across the short.

Both similar to the way a CRT rejuvenator works. They charge a bank of
capacitors and apply it to the CRT elements. I've saved many of a CRT this way,
or at least give another years life to one. I still have MY B&K 467 rejuvenator
here and keep it handy in case I need it. I've often wondered if it could cure
a small short out of a tube. The only problem I thought of though was that the
tubes grids could have a gap in them created by the arc thereby stopping so
much of them from working at all. That is if the grid only has one connection.
I have seen that happen to a few CRT's that were really past saving.

One Ham I know simply attaches an AC
>line cord across the elements and plugs it into the mains.  Apparently
>this
>works, some times.

One thing about this method, somethings going to give or move until a breaker
kicks, hi hi!

I have always wanted to try Richard's method but
>simply
>have not done it.  I would like to hear success rates from the various
>methods.

I've heard of some taking a rubber mallet and striking the top of the anode on
steel tubes disloging the offending matter and sending it to the bottom of the
tube.

>73 de K5JV
>
> Lon W. Cottingham
>1110 Golden Bear Ln.