Re: [Amps] Tube 201

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tube 201
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 00:01:57 -0400
John,

The first edition of the Radio Engineers Handbook I have is the first edition,
third impression dated 1943. This has a red leatherete cover. The part about
getters is on page 315 and ends on page 316. In the footnotes he references the
material from Phillips about using zirconium. This is in section 4 under Vacuum
Tubes and Electronics. Actually everything in discussion is in this section.

On 7/24/06 at 11:16 PM John Vickers wrote:

> [...]

LOL, well there was several tubes mentioned in all of this, but I've tried to
only speak of the 3-500Z until the topic of grid leak bias came up. The thing
there was grid leak bias has been used a lot, but not contact bias. These
methods of bias are different in so far as the circuit, but the grid still
takes on electrons (a charge) with each.

I liked most of what Kerry wanted for the sick and poor, but some other stuff,
I didn't agree with, Hi Hi!

>>> So did Terman if any will read the same edition I have. Nowhere in the
>>> 1st edition, which I have, says a grid became positive.
>
> I have 3 or 4 editions--- I think the 1st is the small black covered one
> and have the thick red one plus a couple more. I'll check them tomorrow
>and
>see
> just which they are.
>

>>> When Terman says suddenly positive, it means suddenly more positive
>than
>>> what it was at  that moment.
>
> Yes, read my mail to you again--- thats what I said.

Yes, I seen that.

>>>  One can't be like some preachers and take one verse from the Bible and
>>> say it means something else.
>
> Personaly, I read the Bible and form my own opinions. Preachers are like
> mail list experts, some even confuse themselves.

True, but more like what Politicians have to say : )

>>> By what Tom says, Terman is flip flopping, or was wrong. Did he lie.
>the
>>> first time?
>
> Thats not what I read Mr Rauch wrote. Thats what you are preaching he
> wrote.
> And as far as Mr Terman goes---- I'm sure he learned a few things after he
> released the 1st edition. And, if so,wouldn't it be a shame if he didn't
> include it in the later ones. I'm still looking for his analysis of why
> Zirconium won't getter a 3-500.

In a way, it's what he's insinuating I think by saying "Anyone who wants can
look and see what it says for
themselves" and "You should rewrite his text then if you know what he meant to
say" like what I was
saying Terman said was a lie.  In my quotes, I never left anything out except
formulas that were placed
into the text. The way I look at it, from what Terman said in this book, he
only modified what he said originally,
and didn't change what he meant. I think I'll set down and write out the whole
two paragraphs that talk about this.
There's actually another, but it gets into noise caused by a gassy tube, and
some formulas for calculating the
same.

I'm glad there's a 3rd edition and I noticed in the page Tom posted, Terman
mentions some new text besides
what is being discussed. I hope though it didn't cut out some or all of what
was said in this edition.

> I still say Richs free advice of Jul 20 is worth another read.
> 73, WA4TT

I don't mind arguing a fact I know to be correct. Both myself and Rich agree on
this subject along with several others.
I really don't think Rich aimed that at me, or either he meant that because I
failed to add what he did with my statement.

I said;

If the grid doesn't make a connection to anything, it can't conduct
and hurt one thing, it's just there in space

Rich added;

... collecting a negative charge from electrons emitting from the
cathode.

Free, unsolicited advice for young debaters:  When you don't know,
opening your mouth not advisable.

Best,

Will