Re: [Amps] Fw: "Tubes 201" - How Vacuum Tubes Really Work

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fw: "Tubes 201" - How Vacuum Tubes Really Work
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 13:52:02 -0400
On 7/25/06 at 9:31 AM Phil Clements wrote:

>>From what he wrote, what I understand is that to become positive is that
>>the grid takes vales greater than 0 Volt.
>
>Correctamundo!
>

>> All right, if the grid is less negative it becomes more
>> positive, but still negative if it's still under 0V potential.
>
>Here is where you are confusing the folks. More positive is above ZERO
>volts. Less negative is below ZERO volts. Anything that is negative or less
>negative cannot become more positive until the voltage passes ZERO on its
>way up. This is what the texts quoted in this thread say. It is the
>"quoters" in the group that are confusing the issue by using the word
>positive when the authors say less negative.

Phil, do you think there's just a slight possibility that Terman did the same
thing by saying Positive in that edition of his book? If Chris is confusing,
don't you think by human nature, it's possible Terman did too due to his
previous remarks in the 1st edition?

>> If you read the actual TEXT from Terman, he states the grid
>> will become positive.

Your wanting to take one sentance of a complete chapter and say that's concrete
evidence without reading everything else the man said. I've read it all (except
for any new text that was added in the 3rd ed.), and nothing even came close to
an explanation that a grid could become positive. Only, as he says "less
negative". Plus, please explain how a grid becomes positive when tied to ground?