Re: [Amps] Ameritron Amps

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>,"'Bob Maser'" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>,"'AMPS'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron Amps
From: "Mike Sawyer" <w3slk@uplink.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 12:18:38 -0400
    Personally, I don't own one and probably won't ever own one. At the
larger hamfests where MFJ/Ameritron have their booth, they usually have all
their amps on display with the covers off. I have always found that the
tuning and loading capacitors seemed a bit 'cheesy' for my liking.  Some
other shortcuts that I didn't care for but can't recall off of the top of my
head.
    I use an old RCA Radiomarine SB-1K that has 2 3-400Z's loafing along
with 2800VDC on the plates for 160-15. Its built like a tank, (and weighs
about as much one) and is somewhat noisy but tolerable.
    The one lesson I learned is that you get what you pay for!
Mod-U-Lator,
Mike(y)
W3SLK