[Amps] Limits of a Power transformer

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Limits of a Power transformer
From: "Nat Gurumoorthy" <ngurumoorthy@ubicom.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 18:21:52 -0700
Hi,
        I am in the process of scrounging together parts for a linear
amp. I have a pair of GI-7BT. I have acquired a Triad P-14A (115
primary, 1780V 250ma CCS secondary) Weighs about 14lbs. Secondary
resistance seems to be about 160 ohms. If I full wave rectify it I
should get a noload voltage of about 2.6Kv. I have 9 470uf 450V
105degree CDE electrolytic caps. Maybe I don't have to use all of them?
With the secondary being 160 ohms will I need step start circuitry to
limit the inrush current to the capacitors?
        My mode of operation is going to be SSB. How much power could I
squeeze out of this transformer. I am going to design this to be a
class-B amp. My bias point is going to be at the tube cutoff voltage.
Looking at the PDF file available online it looks to be -45v. It will be
a GG design with tuned input.

Regards
Nat AB6SJ.