Re: [Amps] Hercules II power supply

To: Amps reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Hercules II power supply
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 12:52:36 -0700
m.ford wrote:
> Hello Vic
>
>    I just sold my Hercules II this week. I last ran it on a single
> Astron RS-70. Under heavy load , which in my opinion is anything
> over 50 amps, the ripple becomes so high that the filter cap gets
> rather warm. At 70 amps the pc board mounted on top of the filter
> cap starts to smell.
>
>    The amp ran real nice on various battery setups for many years.
> A car battery makes a real nice ripple filter.

Thank you.  I've been trying to avoid batteries.  I did have a second
RS-70 which had a terminal permitting the two to be paralleled.  This
worked fine delivering 100 amps for a Henry SS-750.  Unfortunately I
sold one of the supplies when I got rid of the Henry (when will I ever
learn?)

I wonder if it would be possible to replace the filter capacitor with
one with a lower ESR or parallel it with another one, etc. if this is
the weak spot?
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco