Re: [Amps] Checking for IMD

To: "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Checking for IMD
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 05:51:42 -0400
> Ok... in my case I use the old TS-940 and I would have to
> put a
> generator on it to see how it responded. The point was a
> convenient
> point to compare the signals and your suggestion of
> another point on the
> meter is well taken. The important point being that the
> thing isn't in
> compression and you can compare levels there.

The important point is to know the flaws and keep the flaws
of most receivers from being what we measure.

You'd have to look at the adjacent channel IM
characteristics of the receiver and know its S meter
behavior to know the best setting.

My only points are:

1.) It is not an average reading. It is something very near
a peak power reading of the energy in the passband of the
receiver filter.

2.) You have the make sure the receiver is far enough away
in frequency so receiver filter blow through and filter
skirts aren't an issue.

3.) You have to make sure the measurement level of the
"splatter" is low enough on the meter that receiver IM isn't
an issue.

4.) You have to know something about the S meter behavior.
You don't want it to be in compression.

5.) If it's an "in the shack reading", you'd have to be VERY
sure you measure all signal from a line tap and none from
direct or power supply pickup.

6.) If it's an off-the-air reading you'd have to be sure you
are reading the undesired signal and not noise or other
signals. This would severely limit the ability to test a "no
amp/amp" situation.

Other than that it is probably good.

73 Tom