[Amps] Pole Pig Questions

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Pole Pig Questions
From: Dennis W0JX <w0jx@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 10:08:44 -0700 (PDT)
Transformer Gurus:

  I have an old Westinghouse Hypersil Pole xformer and have a couple of
questions about it. Here are the specs: 12470/7200 volts to 120/240. 3KV-A
Continuous. Weighs 49 lbs out of case and dry.

  Obviously, the voltage is much too great for my use. Does the 3KVA imply that
the
  primary current is about 240 ma? The secondary winding is about 158 ohms
total.

  The cores are very nice and it appears that the HV winding which is inside
the LV
  winding, could easily be removed and possibly rewound. Is it worth the effort
or
  should I just sell or trade it off to somebody who wants to build a Tesla
Coil?

  Also, I've read that these things should have some kind of ballast for start
up. The
  low voltage is really low resistance, about .4 ohm. Is that true?

  Thanks and 73, Dennis W0JX/8