[Amps] State of the Amp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] State of the Amp
From: Martin AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:40:55 -0400

Hello Amp people,

After nearly 50 years of hamming at the 100 W level, I have lately got
interested in making bigger zaps, dimming house lights, offending the
neighbors, etc.

So I've been surveying the HF amp marketplace.  Funny, the rate of
technical progress seems to have been pretty slow over the last 30
years.  My impression is that the "sweet spot" (price, performance,
versatility, etc.) is still the dual 3-500Z GG design.  For a new amp, I
might choose the Ten-Tec Centurion -- it matches my Orion.  Of course
there are competitors, too. Darwinian forces seem to have eliminated
other designs that are based on tubes that are no longer made.

If you need the last dB or two to get continuous 1.5 kW out, you can
spend $1K more.  And if you want digital controls, even more.  (More
stuff to break and go obsolete!)

But the XYL helpfully provided a sanity check, and so I'm really looking
for a used amp.  That seems all the more reasonable because the vintage
amps aren't so different from current models.  I'm looking at the Henry
2K-xx, for instance -- pushing 30 years old.  The main thing it doesn't
have that I'd want is QSK switching, but I might be able to add that.
The big pedestal design is a plus for me.  The PS isn't shoe-horned into
the RF box.

Anyway, my question for you is - has anyone written a recent survey of
the HF amp options along the lines of my notes above?  I.e., to help
orient the newbie amp user to the range of options and choices that are
out there in the current market?

73, Martin AA6E