Re: [Amps] Passive Grid Resistor Source?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Passive Grid Resistor Source?
From: gdaught6@stanford.edu
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 21:31:11 -0700
On 22 Aug 2006 at 14:12, Jennings wrote:

> I am thinking of a passive grid driven configuration for a GU74B/Tetrode
> Board amp. I could parallel a bunch of 2W carbon resistors to make up 50 ohms
> at 100 watts, but the physical size worries me. Has anyone got an "off the
> shelf" solution and source of supply or suggestions?

Lee, you might try to locate some TO-220 sized power resistors made
by Caddock.  They mount on a heatsink, but they are compact and have
low intrinsic inductance.  A couple of 100 ohm 50 watt units could be
put in parallel, or two 25 ohm units in series.  I've used these
resistors successfully in my 4cx1600b amp.  (See "Sunnyvale/St.
Petersburg Kilowatt Plus in the ARRL handbook, 1999-2004.)

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT