Re: [Amps] Shaded pole motor speed

To: "Martin Sole" <msole@loxinfo.co.th>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shaded pole motor speed
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 23:11:22 -0400
Martin,

Most of the small cheap variable speed controls use a SCR and an oscillator to
do a pulse-width control of the motor. What I've seen on some amps that use a
speed thermostat, they just use a wire wound resistor in series with the motor
winding. They short this resistor out with a thermostat allowing the fan to run
full
speed when the temperature gets hot enough to close the thermostat. To get the
speed you need, you'll need to replace the 60 Hz motor with a 50 Hz one. Air
flow
can also be increased by the angle of the fan blades, and the diameter of the
fan
blade. Here, heating and air conditioning suppliers stock both motors and fan
blades.
The Dayton types use both shaded pole and squirell cage motors. The smaller of
them use the shaded pole type.

Best,

Will