Re: [Amps] *** SPAM *** Re: Parasitics & Filament Sag

To: R L Measures <r@somis.org>, Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] *** SPAM *** Re: Parasitics & Filament Sag
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:08:00 +0200 (CEST)
Rich said:
>some users of low VHF-Q suppressors report seeing a
dull red glow from the resistance-wire on 10m RTTY.  Obviously, this
can melt the 221ÂC silver-solder we furnish with our retrofit kits
the kits--- <

That is a soft silver solder, then? A hard silver solder (which is what is
meant by the generic term 'silver solder' generally) would have to be
reasonably red at around 620 deg C for it to melt. Soldering that takes a bit
more than your old 'American Beauty' iron!!! (Shades of a 1948 W6ISQ article,
where his  'American Beauty' iron was described as getting 'so hot that solder
applied to the tip instantly vaporizes'!)

>The Low-Q suppressors we purvey have a Q of c. 1.5 at 100MHz.<
What is the effecive parallel impedance of them at 100MHz? That's what will
determine VHF gain.
73
Peter G3RZP