[Amps] Japan Radio Amp plate transformer update

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Japan Radio Amp plate transformer update
From: "w2cqm@juno.com" <w2cqm@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 11:11:26 GMT
Thanks to all who responded to my question about running a Japan Radio
plate transformer rated at a primary voltage of  200VAC on 240VAC. The
education was refreshing! The overwhelming consensus is the Japan
Radio transformer design parameters of 200VAC @ 50 cycles used in the
US is  fortuitous for the me and other retrofitters. It appears that
the increase in the primary input voltage of about 40VAC, coupled with
our domestic 60 cycles (rather than 50 cycles),  mitigates any
consequences of substituting the primary voltage to higher levels. In
this particular  amplifier, Japan Radio uses a separate
filament/control voltage transformer. Obviously that unit is voltage
specific and in the planned  retrofit, it will be substituted with an
appropriately rated transformer. Thanks again. It is a pleasure to
know that the Amps Reflector is the place to go for quality
information. Best regards, Ron W2CQM/3