Re: [Amps] Murphy in my shack

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Murphy in my shack
From: zl1aih@ihug.co.nz
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 18:53:22 +1200
While Aki (ZL1GO) and I were attempting to commission the Sunair
GSL-1900 amp, the Icom-780 transceiver died.

We replaced it with a 746-Pro which worked well for a couple of hours
until it's transmitter died.

We still have a TS-850 to provide the required 40w for the Sunair
tests, but fingers are crossed.

Quite unrelated to our mission, a Drake L4B (which was not switched
on, but still plugged in to the 240vac supply) overnight developed a
short circuit to frame in the primary of the HT transformer, which
livened the blower and 3-500Z's filaments.   A transformer re-wind is
not an option, and anyway the L4B power supply was inadequate for
anything other than casual operating - it's only merit was light weight.

All this within 3 days at the ZM1A CW contest club shack, where we
seem to running out of amps and transceivers to drive them with.

Aki looked on the bright side - "At least it didn't happen during a
contest." - Aki is an optimist and always sees the glass as more than
half full.   After the L4B quit, I was looking for a bottle to refill my glass.

The Icom transceivers have gone to the Icom doctor, and I'm
presently building an appropriately sized and weighted power supply
for the L4B, hopefully in time for the Oceania Contest.   Wheels rather
than handles.   The Sunair amp will have to wait.

I hope Murphy observes the 'rule of three'. <G>
Who was it said "Everything in our favour is against us!"
73, Ken ZL1AIH