Re: [Amps] Step Start on a 3KA Amp

To: "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>,"Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Step Start on a 3KA Amp
From: "Bob Maser" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 00:24:44 -0400
Thanks to all who responded to my search for info on the step start.  I
realize now that it is the current that is being limited for a second and
that's what saves the diodes and caps.  The guy I bought my recently
acquired 3KA from was leaving it in the pre-op position for 5-10 minutes.
He was a technician and didn't know any better and that's why I had to
replace the cone heater.  It was fried.  The new cone heater I got from
N5BIP corrected the problem.   Now, I am about to replace the humungous 3PDT
relay with a RJ1A and an open frame NTE unit, which will quiet it down
considerably.  I am also going to replace the original blower with a more
quiet EBM blower.  After these mods are completed, the 3KA will be "good to
go".  I am really impressed with it, and prefer it to my 4KU for ease of
tuning.

73  Bob Maser
W6TR