Re: [Amps] Titan 425 Reflected Power

To: "'Jim Brown'" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Titan 425 Reflected Power
From: "Robert B. Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:42:28 -0500
Jim,

Several things are going on here.

First, Antennas are supposed to be resonant and matched to your feedline.

Second and almost always overlooked because wavelengths at HF are so long (I
see massive trouble at VHF / UHF).  It is very easy to have your feedline
become an odd multiple of a quarter wavelength.

The old trick with tribanders when you saw high SWR on one band was cutting
a little line off your coax, as the INDICATED SWR would be almost nothing
along the coax somewhere.  Even Collins mentioned this trick in the 30L-1
manual. HAHAHA

Of course this would change between different bands.  The idea was finding
"Acceptable SWR" somewhere for all the bands.  When you have a mismatch
situation, changing the length of your line "Tricks" the reflected power
bridges.

THIS IS ALL GIMICS and isn't addressing your problem.

It sounds like you have a fairly high SWR on your system.  First I would
improve the situation at the antenna.  That is the correct fix.

When your amplifier is standby the path of bypassing the amp through the amp
will almost always change the SWR indicated by your exciter as the amp is an
impedance bump.  Only the "best" of the amp manufacturers were concerned
with this path.

Yes the bridge in your amp might be off.  But I'd fist start AT THE ANTENNA.

If your antenna is 50 ohms, the best length of coax is 1/2 wave long
electrically.  If you hit an odd multiple of a 1/4 wavelength you get
considerable transformation of the impedance. (Phasing lines are built this
way) This gets way out of hand when you have a mismatch to start with.

Properly tuned antenna, line 1/2 wavelength and even multiples of a 1/2
wavelength long electrically.  Never an odd multiple of a 1/4 wavelength.

The end goal is to be able to SELL YOUR SHACK MOUNTED TUNERS ON EBAY.

The only one I use is at the bottom of my 75 foot vertical to tweak it from
one end of 80 and 160 to the other.

Good luck.

BOB DD